Sunday 18 November 2012

I want to deviate slightly and talk about our props and extras we have. Props are great fun to make, it was one of the processes I enjoyed the most. The first three episodes would need me to create books, newspapers, company logos, pizza boxes, talking cakes and a 12" Mexican. (?!)

Mixing his sciences, with rude words?

In our second episode, Martin wrote some jokes that revolved around a mix of Pavlovian Psychology and Immanuel Kant Philosophy. He wanted his puppet to be reading a generic book to introduce the scene, but not a real one. I did a quick search on the internet for some images and cobbled together a pretend book jacket to get the point across. This would turn out to be the least weird thing I would have to do.




Generic Pizza 'Bor. Norfolk Speak!
One night after a Booze Brothers Band gig at the California Tavern, we all drove to the Caister Kebab shop for some well earned sustenance. Over a combined order of 3 portions of chips, 4 meat feast 9" pizzas and 2 half pound burgers I remembered that I was going to have to make pizza boxes for a scene in the first episode. I wondered if I could scab a 9" pizza box as a template to use later? As I was trying to get a discarded pizza box off one of the band without loosing any fingers, the owner asked me what I wanted a dirty box for. I explained (as best as I could, trying not to sound like a nutter) what I was hoping to do and he disappeared into the back and came back with 4 brand-new flat packed boxes for me. If I assembled them inside out, they were plain white pizza boxes! All I would have to do is design a simple logo, and stick it to the lids. Another job done!

A growing Empire perhaps?

Discount Dave was another creation of Martins for the third episode, his voice was kindly recorded for us by Voiceoverman in a studio under the supervision of Doc at Radiojingles.com. I threw together a cheap looking logo for his 'Discount Empire' (in the high street, above the kebab shop, in the high street) It's one of our favourite clips so far. We will be using Doc's services again for a new character, Hoagie Hare… (watch this space!)


A 12" Mexican, obvious. Named Paddy, not so much.

Talking of newer characters, The 12' Mexican (that for absolutely no reason whatsoever is now called, Paddy) was really fun to make. He is a foam tube with yellow felt and black buttons for eyes. His awesome hat is a mini sombrero I found by luck on the internet. With the very last piece of my black fluff I had left, I made him a moustache. The fact he doesn't speak at all is a bit of a relief. Who would want to try a Mexican/Irish accent crossover? Yeah, thought not.


He'll be on Page 3, it's where the buns and baps are.
James' pet brick (called Wally) was a rubber brick Martin had in his house for ages, I think he got it one Christmas and had no idea what to do with it. It only features in the 3rd episode so far, but it does feature on the cover of the newspaper Mike is reading; in a rather heavy handed (albeit quick) plot point spoiler.

For the three new episodes we have written, I will be needing to build a lot more props. Magic Hair in a Bottle, a set of logos for two new businesses, a shed set and a whole space ship set. But that's all for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment